When Chinese New Year is around the corner, there’s always gonna be the usual “standard items” that come to mind. Red packets, 三姑六婆 relatives, New Year goodies and snacks, and last but not least… the ever important annual reunion dinner!
So, if you’re one of those who would rather opt for some home worthy good food, we’re getting you prepped and covered with the next few videos. IMO, it beats paying exorbitant prices for a 9 course dinner too.
So let’s start on with something fit for kings. It’s really simple, fuss-free, and darn tasty too! – HERBAL EMPEROR CHICKEN 药材皇帝鸡.
药材 generally means herbs. The fact is that through the action of steaming, this taste is infused in the chicken while it cooks. The magic lies in the 9 herbs used, which can be bought at your any of your nearby Traditional Medical Halls. Just show them the ingredients list and they will be able to prepare them for you. We got ours nicely packed at Kang Ren Tang Medical Hall, down in Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4 if you’re looking for a shop to head down to.
There is no better way than to usher in the new year of the Horse with a this tender, delicious, yet nutritious dish for your reunion dinner. So try it out, and we’re certain you’ll be just as happy with this as we were too.
** For those staying up north in Ang Mo Kio, you can get the herbs at Kang Ren Tang Medical Hall
Blk 629 Ang Mo Kio Ave 4 #01-984 S560629 – Tel: 6457 2778 **
- For the Chicken
- • 1 Whole Chicken
- • 500ml Water
- • Salt to taste
- Herbs for Dish
- • 24g Huai Shan 淮山 (Radix Dioscoreae Oppositae)
- • 18g Dang Shen 党参 (Codonopsis Pilosulae)
- • 16g Yu Zhu 玉竹 (Solomon's Seal Rhizome)
- • 22g Long Yan Gan 龙眼干 (Dried Longan)
- • 10g Gou Qi Zi 枸杞子 (Wolfberries)
- • 6 Hong Zao 红枣 (Red Dates)
- • 3g Chuan Gong 川芎 (Szechwan Lovage Rhizome)
- • 5g Tang Gui 当归 (Angelica Sinensis)
- • 15g Bei Qi 北芪 (Astragalus Membranaceus)
- 1. Steam the herbs with 500ml water for 5 minutes.
- 2. Place chicken over an aluminium foil.
- 3. Stuff half of the herbs in chicken and place the rest around the chicken.
- 4. Pour the water used to steam the herbs inside foil with the chicken.
- 5. Wrap the foil up into bundle
- 6. Steam chicken for 2 hours.
- 7. Add salt to taste, then serve.